Skip to main content

Google Chrome - pt 1

Ok, just downloaded it.

So far it looks a lot better out-of-the box than Firefox does.

There are some nice improvements over Firefox for which I have been clamoring for to no avail. Firefox is a hog of CPU and Memory, even when having closed all my pages my Macbook Pro uses 14% CPU to power an Idle, minimized Firefox with only the blank window open... what gives? And, alas, my only recourse to try and find out what is taking up the resources is to use a debugger (and then I can only see threads, not tabs)... granted it seems to be Flash that's the culprit, which in turn made me realize why the iPhone never had Flash... Can you imagine!?

So what does Google Chrome do for me? (I only compare it to Firefox since IE is a non-event for me)

1) Google Chrome uses the standard proxy settings like IE and Safari and not it's own custom ones like Firefox. This annoys me no-end about Firefox since I constantly have to change my settings in multiple locations when I move around.

2) Google Chrome can see offending tabs with regards to excessive CPU/memory use. Yay! Finally!


As for my only negatives I know of so far:

1) Lacks the plugin support of Firefox.

2) Lacks the market standard (for the time being) and thus site-compatibility may be an issue (I have the same problem with Safari)

That's it for now... will use it a bit and let you know how it fares.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Custom DIY 60% Keyboard

My Custom DIY 60% Keyboard
All the parts

1x GH60 (Satan) board - $35 61x Cherry Clear switches - $35 2x Cherry Blue switches - $3 10x Cherry Red switches - $10 1x PCB Stabilizer set (6.25 space) - $6 1x Royal Oak Glam 60% case (Black Walnut) - $78 1x Aluminium 60% plate - $19 1x SA profile Choclatier keycaps - $102 (base, modifiers, and novelties)
1x Braided Nylon USB cable - $15 Solder, Tools, Risers, Labor, etc.
Total: ± $300
(Other single switch types added as needed)
Testing the board I had my helper do the work here. We needed to test the board before applying any solder.
Assembling Add the stabilizers first Add the plate (using a few switches as spacers) Then add the rest
Solder solder solder...

And test again:


The casing The casing I received did to have built-in risers:

So I added my own:



Then Assemble (using temporary spare DSA Carbon Cherry profile keycaps):


Hmm... pretty.

And finally received my Chocolatier SA-profile keycap set!


Programming the GH60 The board is controlle…

Garage door opener using Arduino + SmartThings

I wired up and controlled my garage (two main doors controlling and one side door sensor only) with the following customizable source code running on an Arduino and the SmartThings platform (via a Z Wave shield. (The .groovy file you load on the web, and the .ino file you compile for the Arduino)

These are the materials I used:

$35 Smarthings Arduino Z Wave shield
$25 Arduino Uno
$10 Power supply for Arduino
$10 Wire
$20 Magnetic switches
$8   Relay

It was pretty easy, I developed all the source and did the installation in a single day (tweaked it a little the rest of the weekend) and it has been running stable for about 1.5 years now.

The garage doors are toggles that I wired into my garage controller button wires, and they only show if the garage doors are ajar. (It does not indicate whether they are closing or opening... that was troublesome to detect with just a magnetic switch and the way garage doors open and close.)

No express or implied warranty are attached to this guide... …

The story of my Amiga A1200's new lease on life.

Ok, so I rummaged through my storage in South Africa and found my old Amiga once again. This was not the original one I used to have, this is an Amiga A1200, where I used to have the Amiga A500 back in 1986.

A bit of history, I started out with a Atari 2600 back in 1983 (was 10 years old at the time), then saw an advertisement for a cartridge that could do programming... this concept fascinated me, but we could never find it anywhere (it was hard finding the good stuff in South Africa). I settled for a VIC-20 soon afterwards (I sold my Atari), then upgraded to a Commodore C64 soon thereafter.







This lasted until 1986 (age 13) when, after countless months of pouring over Commodore User magazines, I decided I wanted an Amiga.


I had the choice between an IBM compatible XT (with two floppy disc drives but no graphics) or an Amiga. Both seemingly the same price, but due to the then apartheid-era restrictions and taxes, the Amiga turned out to be very troublesome to get to South Africa. My f…