Skip to main content

Google Chrome - pt 1

Ok, just downloaded it.

So far it looks a lot better out-of-the box than Firefox does.

There are some nice improvements over Firefox for which I have been clamoring for to no avail. Firefox is a hog of CPU and Memory, even when having closed all my pages my Macbook Pro uses 14% CPU to power an Idle, minimized Firefox with only the blank window open... what gives? And, alas, my only recourse to try and find out what is taking up the resources is to use a debugger (and then I can only see threads, not tabs)... granted it seems to be Flash that's the culprit, which in turn made me realize why the iPhone never had Flash... Can you imagine!?

So what does Google Chrome do for me? (I only compare it to Firefox since IE is a non-event for me)

1) Google Chrome uses the standard proxy settings like IE and Safari and not it's own custom ones like Firefox. This annoys me no-end about Firefox since I constantly have to change my settings in multiple locations when I move around.

2) Google Chrome can see offending tabs with regards to excessive CPU/memory use. Yay! Finally!


As for my only negatives I know of so far:

1) Lacks the plugin support of Firefox.

2) Lacks the market standard (for the time being) and thus site-compatibility may be an issue (I have the same problem with Safari)

That's it for now... will use it a bit and let you know how it fares.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firefox: Open diverted links in new background tab instead of new window

This has frustrated me for a long time... something I really liked about Opera. Go to 'about:config' url and set: browser.tabs.loadInBackground to true (should be already) browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs to true browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBac kground to true Then in advanced preferences is a new option: 'Force links that open a new window to:' can be used for immesdiate effect.

Compacting internal memory of SAP tables in ABAP.

How to force-free memory from deleted entries in internal tables in SAP ABAP, since the garbage collector won't touch these. This is only needed in rare occasions and/or when memory fragmentation needs to be avoided. This method will do it fast, and correctly: CLASS cl_demo DEFINITION . PUBLIC SECTION . CLASS - METHODS compact CHANGING ct_tab TYPE ANY TABLE . ENDCLASS . CLASS cl_demo IMPLEMENTATION . METHOD compact . FIELD-SYMBOLS : <lt_buffer> TYPE ANY TABLE , <lt_buffer_std> TYPE STANDARD TABLE , <ls_buffer> TYPE any , <ls_buffer_prev> TYPE any . DATA : ltr_buffer TYPE REF TO data , lsr_buffer TYPE REF TO data , l_kind TYPE c LENGTH 1 . " simple case: IF ct_tab IS INITIAL . FREE ct_tab . RETURN . ENDIF . CREATE DATA ltr_buffer LIKE ct_tab . DESCRIBE TABLE

My Custom Mechanical 60% Keyboard Build

My Custom Mechanical 60% Keyboard Build All the parts   1x GH60 (Satan) board - $35 61x Cherry Clear switches  - $35 2x Cherry Blue switches - $3 10x Cherry Red switches - $10 1x PCB Stabilizer set (6.25 space) - $6 1x Royal Oak Glam 60% case (Black Walnut) - $78 1x Aluminium 60% plate - $19 1x SA profile Choclatier keycaps - $102 ( base, modifiers, and novelties ) 1x Braided Nylon USB cable - $15 Solder, Tools, Risers, Labor, etc. Total: ± $300 (Other single switch types added as needed) Testing the board I had my helper do the work here. We needed to test the board before applying any solder. Assembling Add the stabilizers first Add the plate (using a few switches as spacers) Then add the rest Solder solder solder... And test again: The casing The casing I received did to have built-in risers: So I added my own: Then Assemble (using temporary spare GMK Carbon Cherry-profile keycaps):