Skip to main content

How to OTA update your rooted Nexus. (quickly unroot)


Quite a few posts out there seem to think the only way to accomplish this is to do a factory reset and/or wipe all user data. As Android is moving to a faster release cycle, combined with the new measures to ensure an unaltered installation, this procedure is going to become more used. It might also be possible to flash the latest factory images non-destructively to emulate a OTA, but I'm not 100% sure of this (yet).

That is not true, all you will need to do is to revert certain partitions on your phone to stock (boot, recovery and system), and you can do this without wiping apps or user data.

This is because of new restrictions in Android Lollipop (for whatever reason)

I had to flash a custom boot when 5.0 was released to be able to root my Nexus 5 using SuperSU. And this combined with the modifications this did to my system partition prevented the OTA update from working, resulting in an 'Error!' message during update.

All you need to do is to download the original post-5 factory image that your current device is using (check this before booting into fastboot mode), then reboot into fastboot (Volume-Down + Power) then:

First extract archive:
~> tar -xzf hammerhead-XXXXXX-factory-XXXXXXX.tgz

1) If you modified your bootloader, reflash bootloader: (you can root without doing this, which is what I prefer)
~> fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-XXXXX.img

2) If you rooted:

In the extracted folder, extract the various images:
~> unzip image-hammerhead-XXXXXX.zip

Then flash all the non-userdata image partitions with stock: (only the system is really needed for newer root methods)
~> fastboot flash system system.img

~> fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
~> fastboot flash boot boot.img

Anyway, this worked for me. After the OTA you can then again root your phone as required:

http://teuton.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-quick-guide-to-unlock-root-your-nexus.html


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Custom DIY 60% Keyboard

My Custom DIY 60% Keyboard
All the parts

1x GH60 (Satan) board - $35 61x Cherry Clear switches - $35 2x Cherry Blue switches - $3 10x Cherry Red switches - $10 1x PCB Stabilizer set (6.25 space) - $6 1x Royal Oak Glam 60% case (Black Walnut) - $78 1x Aluminium 60% plate - $19 1x SA profile Choclatier keycaps - $102 (base, modifiers, and novelties)
1x Braided Nylon USB cable - $15 Solder, Tools, Risers, Labor, etc.
Total: ± $300
(Other single switch types added as needed)
Testing the board I had my helper do the work here. We needed to test the board before applying any solder.
Assembling Add the stabilizers first Add the plate (using a few switches as spacers) Then add the rest
Solder solder solder...

And test again:


The casing The casing I received did to have built-in risers:

So I added my own:



Then Assemble (using temporary spare DSA Carbon Cherry profile keycaps):


Hmm... pretty.

And finally received my Chocolatier SA-profile keycap set!


Programming the GH60 The board is controlle…

Garage door opener using Arduino + SmartThings

I wired up and controlled my garage (two main doors controlling and one side door sensor only) with the following customizable source code running on an Arduino and the SmartThings platform (via a Z Wave shield. (The .groovy file you load on the web, and the .ino file you compile for the Arduino)

These are the materials I used:

$35 Smarthings Arduino Z Wave shield
$25 Arduino Uno
$10 Power supply for Arduino
$10 Wire
$20 Magnetic switches
$8   Relay

It was pretty easy, I developed all the source and did the installation in a single day (tweaked it a little the rest of the weekend) and it has been running stable for about 2 years now.

The garage doors are toggles that I wired into my garage controller button wires, and they only show if the garage doors are ajar. (It does not indicate whether they are closing or opening... that was troublesome to detect with just a magnetic switch and the way garage doors open and close.)

No express or implied warranty are attached to this guide... yo…

The story of my Amiga A1200's new lease on life.

Ok, so I rummaged through my storage in South Africa and found my old Amiga once again. This was not the original one I used to have, this is an Amiga A1200, where I used to have the Amiga A500 back in 1986.

A bit of history, I started out with a Atari 2600 back in 1983 (was 10 years old at the time), then saw an advertisement for a cartridge that could do programming... this concept fascinated me, but we could never find it anywhere (it was hard finding the good stuff in South Africa). I settled for a VIC-20 soon afterwards (I sold my Atari), then upgraded to a Commodore C64 soon thereafter.







This lasted until 1986 (age 13) when, after countless months of pouring over Commodore User magazines, I decided I wanted an Amiga.


I had the choice between an IBM compatible XT (with two floppy disc drives but no graphics) or an Amiga. Both seemingly the same price, but due to the then apartheid-era restrictions and taxes, the Amiga turned out to be very troublesome to get to South Africa. My f…